McDonough School of Business, Georgetown University
Assistant Professor of Finance, 2008 – Present
London Business School, UK
Teaching and Research Assistant, 2003 – 2008
London Business School
– Ph.D., Finance 2008
– M.Res., Finance, 2005
– M.Sc., Finance (Distinction), 2003
The University of Reading
– M.Sc., Weather, Climate & Modelling, 2008
The University of Nottingham
– B.Sc., Mathematics, 2007
Corporate Finance: Capital Budgeting, Capital Structure, Corporate Governance, Corporate Diversification, Multinational Firms.
Asset Pricing: Equity Lending, Short Sales.
– “Finance and Efficiency of Capital Allocation: Evidence from Bank Branching Restrictions”
Review of Finance, 15(1), 2011, 135-172 (with Viral V. Acharya and Jean Imbs)
– “The Role of Institutional Investors in Voting: Evidence from the Securities Lending Market”, with Reena Aggarwal and Pedro A. C. Saffi
– “Cash Stockpiles and Investment: Do Cash-Rich Firms use Cash in Acquisitions?”, with Lee Pinkowitz and Rohan Williamson
– “Equity Lending Markets and Ownership Structure”, with Pedro Saffi
This paper was awarded the CNMV (the Spanish Securities Markets Commission) Prize for the Best Paper in Regulation presented at the Spanish Finance Association Foro de Finanzas, 2010.
– “Multinational firms, internal capital markets, and the value of global diversification ” (Job Market Paper)
– “Top-Tier Law Firms and Corporate Disclosure: Evidence from Regulatory Noncompliance”, with Preeti Choudhary and Jason Schloetzer
– “The Trade-off between Ex-post and Ex-ante Efficient Capital Allocation in Internal Capital Markets”
Conferences & Seminar Presentations
(* indicates co-author presentation)
– “The Role of Institutional Investors in Voting: Evidence from the Securities Lending Market”
EFA 2011; WFA, 2011; Federal Reserve Board, 2011*; FMA Asia, New Zealand, 2011*; Securities and Exchange Commission*, 2011; Drexel Academic Conference on Corporate Governance, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, 2011; Risk Management Association/University of North Carolina Securities Lending Conference, 2011; LSE*, 2011; University of Cambridge*, 2011; Cass Business School*, 2011; Tanaka Business School*, 2011; IESE*, Georgetown University, 2010.
– “Cash Stockpiles and Investment: Do Cash-Rich Firms use Cash in Acquisitions?”
Georgetown University*, George Mason University*, Ohio State University*, ESADE*, University of Arizona*.
– “Equity Lending Markets and Ownership Structure”
Georgetown University, IESE*, George Mason University*, Ohio State University*, ESADE*
– “Multinational firms, internal capital markets, and the value of global diversification”
University of Amsterdam, IESE, Stockholm School of Economics, University of Michigan Ross School of Business, Federal Reserve Board, Georgetown University McDonough School of Business, ESSEC, University of Cambridge Judge Business School, University of Toronto Rotman School of Management, Warwick Business School, Bocconi, Instituto de Empresa, Cass Business School, London Business School, London Business School Seminar Series, Tanaka Business School.
Honors, Grants & Awards
– CNMV (the Spanish Securities Markets Commission) Prize for the Best Paper in Regulation presented at the Spanish Finance Association Foro de Finanzas, 2010, for “Equity Lending Markets and Ownership Structure”
– McDonough School of Business Capital Markets Research Center Grant, 2008-2009
– AFA Student Travel Grant for the 2007 AFA Conference in Chicago, IL., 2007
– Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) Postgraduate Studentship. London Business School PhD Programme Award from 2003 to 2007
– Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) Postgraduate Studentship, 1997
Business Financial Management (Corporate Finance and Valuation), Georgetown University McDonough School of Business
Journal of Corporate Finance, Journal of Financial Intermediation
2000 – 2003: Royal Dutch Shell M&A & Project Finance Associate, Shell Capital. Advisor, Competitive Intelligence, Acquisitions & Divestments, Shell Gas & Power.
1998 – 2000: IBM Global Solutions Management Consultancy, SEO Company Consultant